Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 5 & 6

Week One is a wrap!  
Yesterday was nothing short of incredible.  Our group did “Stop Sign” which is 4 miles all uphill... starting at 3000ft and ending at 4000ft.  Total insanity.  I made it to the top in 2 hours and it took everything to make it up there.  The whole day was a breeze after that.  Pic to come tomorrow.
Today was nice to have a lighter schedule, but I was really tired and in blister hell.  We had an easy hike this morning and I really should have opted out to rest my blisters and found something to do in the gym.  The pain really went up a few notches on the hike today and I really didn't accomplish much.  
In the afternoon I Skyped with Jeff and the kids... it was really nice to see and talk to everyone.  Then I decided to air out my blisters and take a short nap with the few hours of free time in the afternoon.  When I woke up it became apparent that my large blister was cracked and the dead skin needed to come off – it was completely separated from my foot.  So after dinner I cut it all off.  And guess what I found underneath on my raw foot?  Another baby blister.  So it looks like I am totally sitting on my butt tomorrow just letting my foot heal.  I downloaded all of my pics from the week and have some really cool ones to share. 
I also realized tonight that I may have to miss a hike or two next week, but if that what it takes to become completely healed so I can keep going then it’s OK with me.

5 comments:

  1. Third time trying to comment.....grrr!

    You killed week 1! I hope you are as proud of yourself as we are at home here for you:).

    You are strong in spirit, mind and body, don't you ever forget that Melissa.

    Miss you and love you.

    Enz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enza stole my post... you are inspiring me. I am able to walk my tredmill at the lowest speed for 20 minutes nonstop now. I think of you climbing that mountain and I just keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girls!! I think the biggest thing I have learned here week 1 is that (A) I need to be more selfish about taking care of myself and (B) I do not push myself hard enough. I can do so much more than I thought I could do.

    I am looking forward to healing my blisters and seeing what I can do next week and the week after that etc... because I really have no idea what my new potential is. It was a bit of a wake up call for me. I'll blog about the cardio classes today because I have learned so much with the techniques they have here. Love you all and miss you too!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I meant to ask you..what is "stop sign"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll post more about the 'Stop Sign' hike. It's nicknamed that b/c after a long steep brutal 1000 ft incline, there sitting at the end of the road is a stop sign... in the middle of nowhere. Finishing Stop Sign is a badge of honour around here and I really REALLY had to push to finish it. I look forward to doing it again this week and hope to beat my time too. ;)

    ReplyDelete