Monday, October 25, 2010

Week 3 Hiking Pictures

Wow the time is just zooming by here!  I thought I should go back to post a few pics from Week 3 hikes and get up to date.

There are 4 or 5 hiking levels here.  Week 1 I started at the bottom level.  I expected that completely and was OK with it since I figured I had lots of time to work on my hiking ability. 

Week 2 I was dealing with my blister from hell (which I have since renamed “The HOLE In My Foot” since it was so much more than a blister!)  I spent a few days getting past that and figuring out how to walk on it and how to modify my shoes etc...  Once I was good to go I was right back on track and really wanted to work my way up a hiking level for the next week.

So on Week 3 my evaluation hike was Hidden Pinyon.  I was happy to be going on a new hike since I had a few repeat hikes on Week 2.  And at the end the guides said I could move up a level so I was happy about that.  ;)  Finally I got to do a bit of climbing up on rocks!  ;)






We climbed under and through these rocks!


We came across another hiking group from another resort doing yoga on the mountain top. 
In this pic they were meditating and the dude up on the hill was playing a flute.

Tuesday was Stop Sign - for the 3rd time!  I took an additional 5 minutes off my time.  It never feels any easier, but I am always super happy to complete it.



Wednesday was Santa Clara River.  It was beautiful and it was great to get to know my new hiking group. 


In the Hippo's Mouth

Side view of the 'hippo'
It looked more like a dino skull to me


Thursday we did Third Ravine.  I kept hearing about how cool this hike was and it lived up to every word!   The hike started with climbing over tons of big rocks that really reminded me of a something from a movie set (which was the ravine part)... very cool!   We had to then climb out of the dead end which seemed impossibly steep and high... but yet we did it!  On the way out there’s a spot called ‘Cliff Hanger Rock’ where we can do a little trick shot where it looks like we’re doing some stunt climbing.  My picture didn’t turn out that great so I’m hoping to be able to do it again before I go.



Van 6 peeps

Elephant Rock

Then we had to climb UP

This was the view down behind me
To the far right you can see where we climbed up from


Friday we did Gunlock Reservoir which is named after the tiny town of Gunlock.  It was a great hike too that started with walking thru a ‘wash’ which was like a dried up river?  Anyway it totally reminded me of Indiana Jones and I hummed the theme song all the way along.  ;)


We start in the wash

Then we climbed up here

And then we climbed up there

The view from the top

The "Indian Maiden" Rock
Can you see the face?

Our hiking guide showing off

This was the best part!!


Saturday I opted to do Anasazi Ridge again and got some better pics of the petroglyphs.



this one looks like a space ship

this one looks like an alien

and the dude on the right looks like a storm trooper with a baby inside!  LOL!
Tomorrow I'll post the pics for Week 4 and hopefully I'll get caught up.  ;) 
And then I have some big news to share too!

Thanks for all of the supportive comments - they are all really appreciated!!  They give me a boost every morning.  ;)  Miss you all!!

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are truly amazing. Keep going girl, you inspire me and give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics Melissa and very suspensful at the end there. Can't wait for your big news.

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete