If you're my friend on Facebook then you may have already seen my big news....
I signed up for a triathlon! Me!! A triathlon!! Seriously!!!
It's here in Utah on November 13th (which will be the end of my 7th week - perfect timing!) Let me just say that I never EVER thought in a million years that I would do anything like this. Triathlons are for runners. Athletes. Olympians!! I am none of those things. I may never be any of those things. But I can do a Triathlon. Yes I can!! It took a bit of mental adjusting over a few days, but I am pumped for it now!!
So here are the details - it's 400M swimming (16 laps in an indoor pool), 10 miles on a bike and then 3 miles walk/run. I think the whole thing will take me about 3 hours, but I totally don't care about my time. I just want to do it! I just want to finish! I want a medal! ;) And to be honest we do way more than that here at FR each day.
The other good thing about registering for an event like this is that it's giving me something else to focus on. It does get a little like 'Groundhog Day' here. Starting in my 3rd week here I began making little schedule tweaks. Just changing the order of the afternoon classes here and there. And then in my 4th week I started taking some double classes to avoid a class I'm really not enjoying. (for the record I have tried every class here and have not missed a single class yet!!)
So now when I want to do something different I can go for a bike ride and it's part of my training. Now for open gym (the extra hour of activity the 'stay over' guests need to fit in each day) I swim laps or ride a bike. Now I have purpose! ;)
On Saturdays now instead of hiking I do a triathlon run through. Last week I swam 22 laps and then rode 10 miles. This week I am going to do the same but add in a mile or two of walking. I actually cant wait to do this. I feel ready now!
I also plan on finding a few events at home to sign up for. I think it will be a huge motivation for me to stay on track... and I will take all the help I can get!
Wow Melissa that is really fantastic. Maybe you can start up your own group here. I always think about doing one of those Run for the Cure events but have not yet been motivated to train for one.
ReplyDeleteSo impressed by your progress Melissa in such a short time.
Saw the note to you the other day from Sydney....very cute:)
Take care,
Darlene