Sunday, October 10, 2010

Lessons Learned

I wanted to write a bit more about the breakthroughs I had last week (Thanks Shelley for reminding me!)  In general I was more anxious about making it through the cardio classes (vs the toning & weight classes which is what I do at home the most) but it turns out that the cardio classes are where I am growing the most.

On Tuesday we have a cardio class called “Cardio Intervals”, which is basically increasing a level (either speed or resistance/incline) every 30 seconds about 8 times, and then decreasing back down a level every 30 seconds.  We did a few other drills (it varies depending on the trainers) and then we do the climb up and down again.   I was surprised to discover that I did not die.  It was tough to go from Level 1 to Level 8, but I did not die.  Shocking I know.  And what’s more is I felt pretty good after the class. 

Then on Wednesday we have a cardio class called “Mountain”.  We start at a comfortable level and increase every 3 minutes for about 9-10 levels.  As I did the math in my head, I was a little doubtful that I would be able to do it.  Even starting at Level 1 that would mean ending at Level 10.  Very funny I thought.  At the gym at home I would normally stick to Level 1 & 2... maybe 3 if I was having a fantastic day.  10?  Never.  Then I remembered that I went up to a Level 8 the day before and didn’t die.  In fact I felt pretty great after the class... so what the hell... I did it.

It was almost that easy too.  It was hard to shut my brain off at first, but that was a huge part of what helped me to get through the class.  Turning your brain off and just letting your body do what you tell it to do.  No more thinking about NOT being able to do something.
  
While we are all working our hardest on the cardio machines the trainer walks up and down the aisle cheering us on.  They push us to let go and just go for it.  They are the cheerleader and the coach rolled into one.  But yet we are the ones that push through.  (I am seeing a Doula parallel here!)  Suddenly at the end of my first Mountain class I burst out into tears.  Happy Tears.  What the Fuck Tears.  What is going on with me Tears.  Luckily we all have little towels and I was able to not look like a total fool.  Nicole was our trainer and she came over to quietly give me a little hug.  (side note... someone in our group this week was silently sobbing after Mountain class... so it’s not just me!)

Thursday’s cardio class is called Treading, and it’s supposed to be a killer.  But at about this time I was realizing that the cardio classes are put in this particular order for a reason.  The program is brilliantly designed to increase our cardio endurance.  We get stronger every day.  So as I am realizing this, I gained some confidence going into the infamous Treading class. 

Treading works like this.  For 5 minutes you go as hard and as fast as you can go.  Then you recover for 5 minutes.  Then you go hard for 4 mins and recover for 4 mins.  Then 3/3, 2/2 and 1/1.  Then there’s usually a “grand finale” which seems to vary depending on the trainer.  This week Robyn had us do 30 seconds hard, 30 seconds recuperate, 30 seconds hard.  The good thing about Treading is that you get the hardest part over at the beginning of the class.  The great thing about Treading is that you can actually see the results during the class.  I could go faster during the final minute and the ‘grand finale’ than I can during the first part of the class.  Miraculous I tell you.  Week 2 Treading class I was able to get up to Level 12 on the bike.  Insanity!! 
Apparently this kind of interval training shows your body that you want to be in fat burning mode and builds your heart muscles and lung strength.  I’m already planning on doing these 3 interval trainings at home.  And I’m looking forward to seeing what I can do next week.

3 comments:

  1. Love the sound of those cardio classes. I am going to start rotating my walk (25 minutes now) with weightd or something. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Melissa sounds like an awesome program and great for you to meet all these challenges head on. I have heard so many times that the biggest part of this is your mind and I guess that's what you're really saying here. Good for you.
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelley! There's another class we do on Mondays and Fridays called Circuit. We do 2 mins cardio then 2 mins of weights etc etc... for 50 mins. The 2 mins of weights is broken down into 45 seconds lifting, 30 second rest, 45 seconds lifting.... so it's not 2 mins of straight lifting. (we are encouraged to increase the weight for the 2nd 45 seconds as well) Anyway I find it be a nice mix of cardio and weights and the time really flies by. Today I ended up doing 2 of these classes back to back b/c I hate Zumba... there's so many weights to rotate thru I still didn't do them all. The main point of the cardio is to get your heart rate up, but you can go pretty hard b/c it's only 2 mins. Hope that helps!!!

    ReplyDelete