Quick post tonight again since it’s already 10pm!
Week 4 started out great – we did West Canyon for the evaluation hike and I was determined to make it further than the last 2 times. I did make it further, but still not quite to the end (ugh!) At the end of the hike the guides told me that they were moving me up another level. I was excited for that but concerned that I wasn’t quite at that level. I figured I would just go with it and see what happens.
Week 4 started out great – we did West Canyon for the evaluation hike and I was determined to make it further than the last 2 times. I did make it further, but still not quite to the end (ugh!) At the end of the hike the guides told me that they were moving me up another level. I was excited for that but concerned that I wasn’t quite at that level. I figured I would just go with it and see what happens.
Tuesday we did a hike called Scout Cave which was kind of fun. There was a bit of everything, including some rock climbing... which it turns out I am really enjoying. The turnaround point was this very large cave that was pretty cool. I don’t know if I would enter such a cave by myself... but since it was with a large group of people and I wasn’t the first in the cave, it was all OK. ;)
| We were aiming for the cave in the middle |
| Almost there! |
Wednesday was Barrel Roll. For some reason my lungs were just not OK. They couldn’t recover and I just couldn’t get it together. One of the guides ended up taking me on a modified trail that was doable for my lungs. We ended up back at the van early so we started walking back to FR and almost made it before the van stopped to pick us up. I was bummed that I couldn’t do the ‘real’ hike, but I ended up with a really high calorie burn for the day so all’s well that ends well right?
Thursday we did Stop Sign I made it to the top and took off 7 more minutes off my time. Again I was shocked. Seriously. Each time it’s HARD and I can never tell how my pace is going. So now I am down to 1hr 30 mins for this hike (it took 2 hrs on Week 1) At some point I’m sure I will hit a wall and just won’t be able to take any more time off... I’m just not sure when that will be.
| 4th time baby! |
| Team Canada! This is my friend Karla from Alberta |
| We did it!! |
Friday our group did Camel Back. This was a hike I’ve been hoping to do for a long time. Everyone comes back from this hike gushing about how cool it is and how great the views are. It was fantastic!!
| funky twisted tree |
| Can you see the tiny people? There is a guy from my group on the very top of the mound! |
| Me at the top!! |
| My friend Karla went to the very top as well... this is her coming down |
| Karla and I at the top of Camelback! Team Canada rocks again! |
Looking back at this pics as I post them here, it just all seems so crazy that I am climbing these mountains now. It's hard to describe the mental & physical changes that are happening here... and not just to me... to everyone that comes here. I see it every Sunday when a new batch of guests arrive. Everyone starts out anxious and worried... even afraid. What have we gotten into? Why did I pay money for this? We're going to do WHAT??? Part of this experience is doing what we didn't think was possible. I just love to see the transformation each week in the new guests as they start to experience the hikes and start to see that they can do so much more than they thought they could. Experiencing that is just priceless. I truly think that anyone who opens their heart & mind to undergo this transformation will leaved here a changed person, for the better. :)
OK the big news has to wait 1 more day. Gotta keep you wanting more you know! ;) And if you're keen you've noticed I didn't hike on Saturday and that all has to do with my news too. Until tomorrow...
PS -- someone remind me of what else I need to be writing about... what else have I promised ya'll?
You are such a tease!!!Just keep writing about the whole experience. so after you have finished your hike for the day what are some of the other workouts like???Pool? Gym?
ReplyDeleteHi mommy! It's Sydney! I love your pictures! I miss you! Love you LOTS! Bye bye mommy.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are great! Looks like you are working your butt off - literally! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteNikita
I love your blog! I am going for the first time for 4 weeks starting the day after Christmas. I am so excited. I am reading your blog for some insight. I also was wondering what the pool workout is like. I am really looking forward to the hiking and I have just given into the thought that I will be crying in the gym workouts.
ReplyDeleteYou will love it here! Everyone works out at their own pace doing the best they can do. There are people here of all ages and all fitness levels. As long as you are trying your best you'll be fine. Then the trainers will show you that you can do a little more than you thought you could do and before you know it you're kicking ass! ;)
ReplyDeleteThe pool classes are great! They have these water 'weights' that float - and there are 3 different weights so you can pick the best one for you. We swim a few laps to warm up and then they have us do cardio stuff and toning stuff with the 'weights' It's not a granny aqua class, but it's also nice on the joints too. Let me know if you have any other questions.