It was hard to say good-bye to the kids today at the airport. We all went for an early dinner together and then everyone came to the airport to see me off. It was nice to have everyone there, but hard to walk away from those little faces. I know that this is what I need to be doing. I know I am doing the right thing. Skype tomorrow will be good. I miss them already (and Jeff too of course!)
I was really stressing yesterday about all of my gear and how will I possibly fit everything into one suitcase. Jeff suggested I check with the airline to see how much it was to check a 2nd bag. I was doubtful, but it turned out to be only $25. So I checked 2 suitcases as well as my 2 carry-ons. I was so relieved to have the extra space, but man was it a pain to lug that around the airport by myself! Leaving Toronto I had a small army of little helpers, but once I got to Vegas it was all me. By the time I get checked in tomorrow I am going to be so tired of lugging those suitcases around.... but yet so happy I got to bring everything I wanted and felt that I needed.
And one other thing that could only happen to me... I was so worried about evenly packing my 2 suitcases and not incurring any weight penalties on my luggage, that overlooked this tiny little new guideline about restricting liquids in carry-ons. Nothing over 100ml is allowed in the cabin now thanks to that idiot who set his crotch on fire last year on the way to Detroit. So after checking in, customs and depositing checked luggage, it was time to go through security with my carry-ons. And thanks to the idiot shoe bomber, I had to take my shoes off too.... even though I was wearing strappy sandals... and you could clearly see my naked feet. Must take off sandals. Really? And then the cherry on top... airport security confiscated my shampoo, conditioner, lotions, mouthwash and sunscreen. I thought I had packed very cleverly... putting my toiletries and one change of clothes for the hotel in my carry on. Nope. I was so worried about excess baggage fees I completely missed this new
So what is a girl to do with minimal toiletries? I texted Jeff from the airport and he made some calls for me. The hotel in Vegas has shampoo & conditioner - and FR has a pro shop for the rest of what I was robbed of (fingers crossed!) There are shuttles to Target from FR but apparently those are on Wednesdays. No way my lily white skin can go without sunscreen for 3 days!!
Alrighty - I am off to bed to get some rest for the big day tomorrow!
PS - Note to self... big business opportunity to sell toiletries at the airport! Duty free people seem to only sell perfume, make-up and chocolate. What's up with that? Why is no one selling shampoo at the airport?
I love how you are always seeing opportunities for success no matter the situation - that's the biggest thing our friendship has taught me.
ReplyDeleteHugs.