Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Week 6 Hiking Pictures

Week 6 was sunny and beautiful!  It was perfect hiking weather up around 25C/80F almost everyday.  ;)  Because of my knees I decided to hike M/W/F and stay back at the gym Tu/Th.

Monday I did Barrell Roll again.  I did this hike in Week 4 and had a tough time that day, so it was nice to be able to do the hike again and do well.  This was also the only time I hiked with my friend Gini (who just left of Sunday!)  We also saw a baby tarantula too!


Gini and I at the top of Barrell Roll



Can you spot the tarantula?

Wednesday I did Fern Gulley - and it was just gorgeous!!   There was a ton of sand to walk through, some pretty greenery (which is rare here in the dessert) and some fun rocks to climb.  I actually climbed a big rock at the end just for fun (what is happening to me?) 
 








I love the little rock cairons used to mark the trails




All this sand and no beach!

 
Friday I did Camel Back again.  I just love this hike and this time I not only got to do it with my friend Peggy (and fellow Canadian!) but I also went to the very VERY top!  At the top of Camel Back (which is a mountain in itself) there is an extra little rock that some climb and some don't.  It's very steep and very tough to get up.  The first time I did CB I didn't do the extra climb, but this time with Peggy's encouragement I did it!!  OMG my adrenaline was pumping!!  I think it's the craziest thing I have done here for sure. 


I love looking up and thinking - I am going up THERE!  ;)

An artist left this glass ball here about 2 years ago - amazing that it's still there

So pretty!

The sandstone looks like dino scales - or wrinkly elephant knees?

The vortex - still haven't been down but I do love the shadow pics!

I regard the cactus with caution - someone fell on one last week!  Ouch!



The extra rock we climbed is the one on the right



Getting ready to come down (OMG!)


All girls at the top - Me and Deb (one of my fav hiking guides)


The view DOWN the side of the rock

I love it when the hiking guides show us shapes in the rocks - can you see the horse?



Our guides on the summit - they are all billy goats!

That's Peggy at the top in the pink!


OK I am off to bed!  Miss you all at home.  Only 12 days to go!!  ;)

2 comments:

  1. Your enthusiasm makes my heart happy!!! I want to kidnap you ( in the friendliest of ways) and hear everything . I hope these days go as quickly as the others have. Do you get scared about carrying this into your home life?? I dont mean it as a downer just curious. I have no doubt in my mind that your changes will continue and evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shelley! I miss you guys so much! I am missing my life back home more and more as the weeks go on. ;)

    At first I was very happy to be in the bubble here. I called it Rehab all the time, and I was a bit anxious about coping in the real world (or let's say not screwing up). But as the weeks are going by I am more and more confident that I can do this at home. 1-2 hours in the gym will be EASY after this. I really need to write a post about calories in/calories out and how it all breaks down to simple math. Losing at home will obviously be slower, but I KNOW I can do it! :)

    There is also a fair amount of help here for the mental / emotional side of this - the trainers are great but there's also a life coach here (Jen you rock!) She does seminars about coping in the real world and adjusting your outlook on things that really have helped me a lot. I need to write a post as well about how an 'all or nothing' attitude will always end in disaster (when it comes to your health anyway)

    So long story short - I am excited to take all of my new skills home! 11 days to go! ;) Ok off to stretch class.

    ReplyDelete