The sprint distance comprised of 1K swim (16 laps in a pool) 16K bike rid (10 miles) and 5K (3 miles) walk or run. I know this is seems like a lot, but for those of us here at FR, we do that and more everyday. So I figured 7 weeks x 5 full days = 35 days of training and that I could it!
Honestly it also gave me something else to think about and focus on while I completed the second half of my stay here. During "Open Gym" I would swim laps or go for a bike ride.
My friends Paula & Gini had both done Triathlons so they were full of information for me. I also pestered Tiffany (a trainer here) for more details (Tiffany's done 30+ triathlons!) So when the day came... I was ready!!
For my next Tri I will transition outside like everyone else. I wasn't planning on doing any Triathlons when I arrived at FR... so I didn't have an athletic type of bathing suit with me. Real triathletes sometimes wear wet suits and then peel them off and have dry clothes underneath. Or in warm climates they wear a hybrid wet suit thingy that they also cycle and run in.
Maybe one day that will be me?
Some of Randy's family came to watch and they brought his dog to cheer him on.
One cool thing - I met 3 past guests at the event - and they were all people who went home after their stay and continued to do well. I love to meet people who are living, walking, talking sucess stories. ;)
Often Triathlons have participation medals for everyone. When we found out that this one didn't, I thought oh well. Not Paula. She went home 2 weeks ago and made some magic happen and had the medals delivered to FR. Oh boy did I cry. ;) Love you Paula!!
Overall it was a fantastic experience! I knew I could do it, there was no doubt in my mind. But it was still a great feeling to complete everything. I had a smile on my face the entire time. Since it was my very first Tri I had no time to beat. Next time I'll have something to improve on right?
My final time was 2:30:25:6 (2 hours, 30 minutes, 25 seconds, 6 milliseconds)
Not a fabulous time by any means, but it's a new goal for me to beat. ;)
Another cool thing was the encouragement from everyone. Friends here. Friends and family back home. Other athletes. Spectators watching from the sidelines. It's all so heart warming. ;) Hard to describe, but so amazing to experience.
There were people of all ages participating, and I was promised people of all sizes, but I didn't really see any other plus size people. There were times I thought the other athletes were saying encouraging things because I'm the only fatty out there... but then I heard from others that it's fairly common for the faster people to be encouraging to the slower people. (So maybe I'm not special after all? Whaaaaat???)
So now I'm looking for Spring Triathlon back home to sign up for. Who wants to do it with me?
Edited to add:Some people have asked if I have a breakdown of my times and I do...
So this is what my official time record says (in minutes)
SWIM - 27mins
T1 - 2.5 mins
BIKE - 1hr 9 mins
T2 - 2.5 mins
RUN - 48 mins
We all wore timing chips on our ankles and they had marks on the floor that when we passes them the timer ends on one phase and starts the next. Unfortunately they had the marker going from swimming to transition 1 outside by the bikes. So I went from the pool to the change room and then outside.
This is how I would break down the 27 mins swim time...
15 mins swimming - 1 min walk to the change room - 10 mins in the change room - 1 min walk outside to the marker line
So I think my time should look more like this:
SWIM - 15mins
T1 - 14.5 mins
BIKE - 1hr 9 mins
T2 - 2.5 mins
RUN - 48 mins
Lots to improve on, but I am looking forward to it! ;)
You should e so proud of yourself! Just look at what you have accomplished.
ReplyDeleteWOW!!! So amazing...I am JUST SO PROUD OF YOU! Also like Karen said I hope you are PROUD OF YOU!! hmm...I might have a new TRI buddy for woodstock this year!!!
ReplyDeletewow Melissa that is awesome. Definately an inspiration to many people. I have wanted to the CIBC 5K run for a while now but have to do the training first. Maybe next year:)
ReplyDeleteSee you soon.
Darlene
I would love to just be able to do a 5k walk. Maybe you can help me set some realistic goals.
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone! Yes I am proud of myself!
ReplyDeleteShelley - let's sign up for a 5K next week when I get back. I'll walk it with you. I know you can do it!!!