Monday, November 14, 2011

Flashback to Week 8 - Part 1

Here's what I wrote about Week 8 from the Las Vegas airport....

Wow!!  I really can’t believe I am DONE!  When I first got here it really felt like 8 weeks was forever... especially when you’re working out 6-7 hours a day!  And then the weeks started flying by and now here I am sitting in the airport writing up the post for my last week.  Insane!!

So Week 8 ended up being a bit of a roller coaster ride.  Saturday was so much fun with the Triathlon!!  After dinner on Sunday a few people who were return guests staying off campus all went out for dinner at Outback Steakhouse.  Danielle and I went with them but didn’t eat anything.  (we ate dinner at FR like good girls!)  I had 2 diet cokes and that was it!  ;)  It was great to chat with the new people I had met at the Tri – I had only met them that morning, but since they had all done time at FR, we all had a common experience to talk about. 

Sunday I stayed on the compound (a term of affection – I promise!)  and rested.  After lunch I took a nap and when I woke up for dinner my back felt tight and just off.  I went to dinner and then the hot tub with my friend Peggy.  After the hot tub my back was feeling better.  I went to bed and woke up Monday morning with a very sore  back.

Peggy and I went to the option 6am class which was Stretch Class.  I figured after a nice stretch would help.  Nope.  I talked to the trainer after class and she suggested I try the foam roller.  It hurt like a son of a bitch!!  But it did feel a little better, so I decided to hike after breakfast... it also helped that the hike was West Canyon... which is more of a mildly hilly walk than a hike.

About half way through the hike my back started hurting more and more.  I turned around and head back to the van a little early  - I was DONE

So for the rest of the day I did pool class – 4 of them!  And then before and after every pool class I went into the hot tub.  I wasn’t feeling 100% but I made it through.

Tuesday morning I woke up in intense pain.  It hurt to breath.  I made it through breakfast and then went back to bed.  I felt horrible for not working out or hiking, but the pain was just too much.  A friend gave me an anti-inflammatory cream and gave me some tips on how to lay in bed to relax that part of my back (she’s a retired physio therapist and really knows her stuff!)  I had a lovely nap, but was still in a lot of pain.  I made an appointment for a massage in desperation, but the earliest appointment was 4pm.  The massage was wonderful and helped a lot to take the edge off the pain, but my back was still off.
 

To Be Continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment